Sunday, January 18, 2009

I made my first chili yesterday

Yummmm!!!

For the first time ever, I made chili. It needs to be tweaked a little, so for those of you who cook - what do you put in to add a little spice and heat, but without making it inedible?

I *think* this is what I put in (I tend to just keep throwing things in, even when I'm working off of a recipe, so it's not exact)

2 lbs ground sirloin
1 large onion
2 red peppers
1 large can diced tomato
1 small can of tomoto paste
3 medium hot chili peppers (I can't remember what I used - 1 red 2 green)
chili powder (don't ask how much, just kept adding until the taste was close)
ground cumin (again, until the taste was close)

I'm thinking that a touch of ground cinnamon might help to bring out the heat. Any other ideas?

1 comment:

Rosehawk72 said...

Cinnimon is good in it. I also add garlic and onions to my meat, oregano is good too, and Cayenne (red) pepper. You only need a little, so add a couple of shakes, let it cook a bit, taste, and repeat. The heat builds the longer you let it cook. Also a good hot sauce like Cholula or something smokey hot like Chipotle peppers help. I'm lazy. I use the chili mix in the paper bag (or box), Shelby's it has all the stuff in one bag except the salt, red pepper, and masa to thicken. And I'm thinking about trying bison the next time. I'll let you know how that goes.