Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm in India!!







And the room is beautiful. Seriously beautiful. And they left me a towel elephant strewn with rose petals. Sigh. I could get used to living like this.

So could Lammie...

Day 2 - the brief rundown...

- Woke up at 4:30. Jet lag sucks.
- But it was not in vain, can anyone say "Room Service at a 4 star hotel"??? Yea!
- After a leisurely breakfast of a full fruit platter (papaya, guava, pinapple, strawberries, coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, wheatberry toast, egg white omelette with tomato headed off to work
- Wow. Traffic in Bangalore is ridonculous. Thank gawd we have a driver and I can close my eyes in the backseat - the 15 km trip takes between 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- The offshore team is incredibly warm and hospitable, we met for approx 5 hours setting up our work stations, meeting the team, chatting.
- Lunch! Yup, I'm eating only Indian food while I'm here. Not going half way around the world to eat McDonald's! Good thing I like spicy food...
- Oops. I accidentally drank tap water. They put it out with the lunch. It's 8 hours and no ill effects as of yet. Living life on the edge my first full day in a foreign country.
- Worked for another 7 hours. The offshore team are workaholics! Actually, the atmosphere is completely different. The work is longer but slower paced - they work incredibly long hours - no one leaves before 6, and they usually work until 8, but there isn't a real sense of urgency. That's probably been the biggest culture shock, no one is ranting or raving, just steadily plugging away at work.
- 8pm - another harrowing commute through Bangalore. Interesting side note - I can't figure out the use of car horns. They are constantly blaring, it's almost like punctuation... but no one is yelling at each other. It's a very polite impatience, almost like using the horn to say "Excuse me, I'd just like to let everyone know my vehicle is here and I'm traveling. Thank you and have a good day". But they do it every minute or two.
- Got back to the hotel a little before 9pm. No dinner tonight, just this delightful treat that was left in my room.

Okay, I'm off for a cup of tea and some sleep. Hopefully I'll post more details in the morning! I have many stories, but I'm too tired to think straight.

3 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

You love it right?

How about the fact that stop lights are just suggested stops...Like Hi I'm red and there are cars coming at you...but sure go ahead and come on through!

How many Cows have you seen? Can you please please please update your next entry with a Cow picture? I had a goal while I was there..to take a picture a day of a Cow (think I got 10 a day!)

The TAJ is AWESOME! We did not stay at west end, but did stay at the TAJ residency. AWESOME!

moosh said...

It's amazing! I do love it. We're headed to Mysore tomorrow, per your suggestion!

The scariest moment was when there were two huge buses that were so close people could touch, and our driver decided the fast way through was between them...eeek!! I saw my first cow today - tied to a tree in the median of a major road. No one was next to it, just a random cow.

The Captain's Wife said...

You will find yourself ducking and moving to the middle of the back seat alot cause you will feel like you are safer! Just wait till you see vehicles drive up on the "sidewalk" aka "garbage median" to get around stalled traffic...or wait till you see a cow sleeping in the middle of the road and all cars just stop and wait...and wait...and wait....