Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm rich biatch!


Have you ever withdrawn 10,000 from an ATM? It's nerve racking. Lammie is holding 10,000 INR. 10,000!!!! I've checked the exchange rate four times since the transaction because it's made me so nervous... and it's true. I just took out approximately $220USD. Phew!



Q & A Time!




Q: How's the food?

A: Excellent. Yes, it's spicy, but it's delish!




Q: No, seriously - how's the food?

A: Really, I'm eating nothing but Indian food. Yes, I've stayed away from the pickled things, I already know I don't like the taste (tastes like pickled ass - just ask Rosehawk!). I'm also avoiding lamb - I've had a lamb allergy/reaction since I was a baby. I wanted to test the theory that you can grow out of allergies, but I didn't think of it until a few days before I left - and I don't want to try it when I'm not sure I can get to a decent medical facility, so I'm abstaining. Which is a shame, because it smells yummy. They do have other types of food - our hotel serves Indian, Lebanese, and Italian. I've tried the Lebanese food, and I'm a big fan. Warm beet salad is one of my new favorites. I have not tried the Italian...because it would feel like I'm cheating if I travel all this way to eat Pagliacci's. I did notice that they have a Domino's in the city, as well as Baskin Robbins. I may break down and violate my policy of only Indian food for a little ice cream.



Q: Are you drinking the water?

A: Nope. Well, I've forgotten twice already - drank tap water at work and brushed my teeth this morning in the tap water. There's a good chance I'll wind up with some form of stomach issue before the trip is through.



Q: Do they have bathroom facilities?

A: Yes, but they are different. There's a bidet in the hotel room, and the bathroom at work had a removable shower head on the wall - at seat height. I'm not sure what that's all about, but I suspect it serves the same purpose as the bidet.



Q: Do you have malaria yet?

A: Not yet, but I'm being eaten alive by mosquitos. Yes, I have the special spray for my clothes. Yes, I'm using tons of repellant with DEET. Baron and I will probably never have children at the rate I'm using DEET, but I can't seem to stop the bugs. And yes, I'm taking the Maladrone, but it doesn't necessarily prevent Malaria, just mostly.



Q: Are you using the hand sanitizer I gave you for Christmas?

A: Yes Auntie, I'm using tons of it.



Q: How does it feel to be a cultural minority?

A: Very odd. I feel grossly large and like an ugly American. The majority of the Indian women are very petite, and beautifully dressed in rich jewel tones, with lots of bling. I left my jewelry at home for fear of losing it. International travel is not for those with self-esteem issues!



Q: Back to the food - really? It's okay?

A: Yup, it's still really good. There's rice with everything, generally a very mild Basmati. There's flat bread with everything. Of course there are a lot of curries, but the spiciest seem to be the vegetarian meals - and I've been eating those too. Our hosts have been ordering relatively mild spices for our meals, but there is still a fair amount of spice/heat. It's completely worth any potential tummy issues to see how pleased they are when you're adventurous and try a little of everything. I may be the only person I know who goes to a developing nation and gains 10lbs eating only local cuisine. Please see the previous question, it's not helping my self-esteem issues :)


Big tourist day today, so hopefully I will have many stories to tell when I get back.

2 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

If it makes you feel better....I gaine 8 lbs during my 2.5 week stay there. Mike C lost like 15!

moosh said...

It does make me feel better! I thought I was the only one. I'm trying absolutely everything they put in front of me, and then having seconds on what I really like!