Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!



This is what I do every holiday morning. I always intend to make pies the night before, but get lazy and wind up making pies for my family and the Baron's family first thing when I wake up. And for those who are curious - oh yeah, I got mad baking skillz. That's my pie, not a random photo. Homemade crust.

The funny thing is... I don't like pie. It's 3 hours worth of work, and I don't even take a piece. It's just my job for the families, I enjoy the process, I enjoy being a little special - The Bearer of Pies. I learned how to bake apple pie from my Grandmother, and it's been my role for about 10 years.

What I do love about baking a pie from scratch... Little Sisters. Sillies - I don't mean relatives, I'm an only child! It's a family tradition, born from Depression Era grandparents - how to ensure you use every last bit of usable food. You take the leftover dough from the pie crust, roll it out long and thin, slather butter on it, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, roll it up, cut in to little cookies, and bake for 10 mins.

The upside to always putting the pies off until the holiday morning... we always have Little Sisters for breakfast.

Pic below was taken approx 30 seconds after they left the oven. I put the pan on the stove, grabbed my phone to take a pic, and half of them were gone already.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and hope it's filled with all of your favorite goodies!

No comments: