Friday, October 10, 2008

Decent Crockpot Recipes? Anyone? Anyone?

I'm back to cooking again. 8 days away from home left me with a complete craving for real, homemade food, and a desire to join Weight Watchers again... what can I say, I'm a woman full of dichotomies. In order to not put too great a strain on my marriage, I've agreed to experiment only once a week and stick by the tried and true recipes the rest of the week. This week's experiment, Chicken Paprikash. It sucked *ss. Tastes like mush with a kick. Blech. Can't wait to see what S* thinks of it. The good news is... I made the entire bag of egg noodles so we can have noodles and butter after he tastes it :)

Anyone have a favorite crockpot recipe they'd like to share? 'Cuz this one wasn't it.


Chicken Paprikash

Serve this dish with egg noodles, orzo, rice, or mashed potatoes. Use preshredded carrots to speed up preparation.
Yield

6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
* 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
* 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
* 1/2 cup shredded carrot
* 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
* 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
* 1 1/4 cups reduced-fat sour cream

Preparation

Combine flour and chicken in a medium bowl; toss well. Add chicken mixture, chopped onion, and the next 8 ingredients (through mushrooms) to an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Stir in sour cream.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
316 (25% from fat)
Fat:
8.8g (sat 4.5g,mono 2.2g,poly 1.1g)
Protein:
40.6g
Carbohydrate:
17.3g
Fiber:
3g
Cholesterol:
114mg
Iron:
2.3mg
Sodium:
627mg
Calcium:
123mg

4 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

My favorite crockpot recipe is chili....Super easy (BTW I measure nothing!)

1 packaged of ground turkey meat (you can use beef or prok too)
2 cans red kidney beans (rinsed)
2 cans black beans (rinsed)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
chili mix (I use the one you find in the mex aisle, it is in a little paper bag-but any store bought chili mix will work)

brown up turkey meat in a frying pan and dump it in the crock pot

rinse the beans and dump into crock pot

open crushed tom and dump into crock pot

fill up 1 of the bean cans with water and dump it in the CP

open chili mix and dump into crock pot

(are you getting the theme? DUMP ...hehehe)

Stir everything together...

Put the CP on low for several hours stirring when you remember or whenever you want to taste it :)

I sometimes need to put a little bit of sugar in towards the end of cooking if it tastes to bitter from all the tomatoes....ENJOY! I also sometimes throw in some chopped up peppers or other veggies, depending on my mood and what is in the fridge.

moosh said...

Mmmm... that sounds really good. I think that might have to go in to the rotation - I've been thinking about chili for about a month now. On a surprising note - he didn't think the paprikash was too awful. A little on the bland side, but thought it could be doctored to our tastes. Go figure. I think this week is going to be Polish Bigos, but chili may be the week after.

Rosehawk72 said...

lets see...I also make chili, and Stew...

Stew Meat (I find the most lean I can...you know I have issues)
1 can golden mushroom soup (or mushroom gravy, and I hate mushrooms but you can't usually taste them)
1 can diced or stewed tomatoes
package of onion soup mix
bag of baby carrots
bag of fingerling potatoes (you can peel if you want I just wash them)

Throw it all in the crock pot, stir. Put it on low all day, or high for 4 hours.

Same basic recipe can be used for pot roast too, but I don't like that as much.

Rosehawk72 said...

oh I forgot to mention, you may need to thicken this, but not always. And this is based on a pound of meat. I have a giant crock pot, so I usually do 2 pounds and double everything.