Monday, May 30, 2011

New Beginnings

I've been in the new job for about a month now... and I'm still grinning from ear to ear every time I walk in to the building. Trying to keep up, learn, and make myself productive as soon as possible is stressful - but nothing compared to the stress I was under with the old job. This weekend Chey commented that I was being very supportive (I know it was a joke - but I also know that it's true - I'm not the same person I was 3 months ago), the Mayor said over breakfast on Sunday how much happier I am, and Baron has been thrilled at how calm I've been, and been home in time to make dinner every night!

I'm a little taken aback... I must have been a stark raving bitch while I was caught up in the misery and drama of the old job. But I'll take this as a new beginning. Time to focus on family, friends, and trying to take care of myself.

Now that I'm less stressed and on a normal sleep schedule for the first time in 2 years, it's time to start over on diet and exercise. No more excuses about being too tired to take care of myself.

I started this weekend by doing rides on local bike paths on Saturday and today. Saturday was out near Bolton with a friend and her sister. We logged about 7 miles. Beautiful, flat, gravel path. I was so in love with the bike path, I convinced Baron that we should do one out of Avon today. About 8.5 miles today - but I am so outta shape - the hills in Simsbury damn near killed me. Had to turn around, it was just too much for our first weekend out on the path. Of course I've been obsessed with the Greenway since our town voted to look at plans to connect with two adjacent towns - but this is the first weekend I've been out on the trails. Even Baron was impressed with how clean, well laid out and maintained they are.

Now to start back on eating less. I'd love to say "eating healthier" - but that's not the problem. I eat between 5-10 fruits and veggies a day. I get 2 servings of dairy (greek yogurt and a glass of Silk). I only eat red meat twice a month, and I only use olive oil, I pretty much gave up butter and other oils almost a year ago. But the sheer volume of food I eat is atrocious.

Sigh. I can't understand why diets never work for me. I'm starting WW with the Mayor this week. Well, we were supposed to start last week, but a friend who retired and moved to NYC was up for a few days, so I might have blown off WW to go to Sliders for beer and wings. Perhaps there's a connection between that and why I don't do well on diets? Hmmm....

Oh well. Here's to new beginnings. For great things to come for all the besties. We're all entering new phases in our lives. It's exciting, it's scary, but I'm glad I've always got you guys to hang out with on the journey.

No comments: